RIIMPO320E Conduct civil construction excavator operations
Enhance your skills and earn your excavator ticket with the help of our Queensland-based, hands-on training.
Our simulated site facilities allow you to gain your Conduct Civil Construction Excavator Operations (RIIMPO320E) unit of competency with the full support of our experienced excavator training team.
Objectives Of The Conduct Civil Construction Excavator Operations
An excavator ticket with Major Training is a nationally recognised unit of competency that will give you the skills to operate this machinery on a construction site or building site. Excavators are machines commonly used on building, civil construction and landfill sites, and a valid excavator ticket is required to operate an excavator.
Successful completion of our excavator course will qualify you for jobs in a range of industries including transport, mining and agriculture.
The holder of an excavator ticket is highly sought after in the construction industry. You are ineligible for a variety of building and construction jobs without the right qualifications. An excavator ticket could be the competitive edge you need to become a more viable candidate in a variety of employment scenarios.
Delivery Of The Excavator Training
We offer flexible options that let you learn on the job. We provide training across QLD in areas including Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast. Whether you need us to visit your Brisbane worksite or you’d prefer to visit one of our QLD centres, there are a variety of options available
Full Three-Day or Five-Day Course
- Everything you need to earn your excavator ticket from start to finish
- Up to 40 hours of high-quality competency-based training from our knowledgeable team
- Available Monday to Friday
- Course start Mondays and Wednesdays every week running from 6:30am to 3pm.
Formal Training and Assessment Course
- 1 day formal training, 1-day practical training, 1 day for assessment
- or 1 day of theory, up to 6 months logbook on the job and then 1-day practical assessment.
- Employer involvement needed for logbook option
- Less downtime
- Available as 1-day formal training course only
- Course start Mondays and Wednesdays every week running from 6:30am arrival for 7am start to 3pm.
Experienced Operators Course
- Course start Mondays and Wednesdays every week running from 6:30am arrival for 7am start to 3pm
- Students must demonstrate previous experience
- 1-day+ course available Monday to Friday on a full-time or part-time basis.
Excavator Courses Include:
- A detailed training plan developed from our knowledge of the earthmoving industry
- Theoretical classroom-based training in health and safety delivered through videos, live demonstrations, and clear instructions provided by our high performing, knowledgeable trainers
- Written and practical assessment including all training materials and a hi-vis vest.
- Reliable practical training to meet logbook hours requirements – shortened logbook hours required for experienced operators
- Nationally recognised open class licence (excavator ticket) upon successful completion.
Detailed Course Information
Three to Five-Day Course
- 1 day formal training, 1-3 days practical training, 1 day for assessment
- An exceptional-quality competency-based training program delivered by our knowledgeable team
- Both the formal and informal requirements of the training are completed in a controlled environment at Major Training’s high-quality simulated worksites throughout QLD
- Students are trained to a competency level suitable to achieve all elements of the excavator assessment
- Exceptional-quality training and materials including logbook, training plan, full assessment and training manual are provided.
Formal Training and Assessment Course
- 1 day of theory, up to 6 months logbook on the job and then 1-day practical assessment.
- Students complete the mandatory informal excavator training on the job or at their current employment
- Employer must agree and fill in all relevant areas of student’s logbook
- Includes a written assessment on completion of formal training.
Formal Assessment Only (After Completion of Formal Training)
- Available as 1-day formal training course
- For experienced and competent excavator operators on completion of formal training
- Requires employer involvement
- Students must log hours and detail of relevant tasks performed at their workplace
- Student logbook must be signed off by employer or employer’s representative with the relevant OHS licence
- A completed logbook with an employer’s letter validating the log is required
- A final skills assessment is conducted when the employer is happy with skill and knowledge level of the student
- Assessment includes a closed book theory test (completed at formal training) and a comprehensive practical test.
Experienced Operators Courses
- Evidence of previous experience required (e.g. old logbooks, training plans, interstate or overseas licenses)
- Contact our customer service team to check for eligibility.
- Be able to read and write basic English
- Pass a language, literacy & numeracy assessment (LLN)
- Minimum 16 years of age
- Provide two forms of identification
- Wear steel-capped or safety boots on site
- Sun protection (e.g. hat, long sleeves and pants).
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Applications for RPL are available through Major Training Group. See our RPL page for more detail
Course and Ticket Cost
3 day course cost of $995
Do you need a ticket to operate an excavator?
While an excavator ticket is no longer required for some uses of an excavator, you will need a valid excavator ticket or the appropriate training and competencies for work operations including Conduct Civil Construction Excavator Operations (RIIMPO320F) and Conduct Hydraulic Excavator Operations (RIIMPO301E)
How do I get my excavator ticket?
You will receive your excavator ticket upon successful completion of a Conduct Civil Construction Excavator Operations (RIIMPO320E) with Major Training.
What do I do if I have lost my excavator ticket?
If your excavator ticket has been lost or stolen, you should contact the training provider where you took the training or the employer who sponsored your course. If your ticket is still valid, you should be able to get a replacement for a small fee.
How long does an excavator ticket last?
As this is a unit of competency, this unit does not expire.
How much do excavator operators make?
This will depend on your role and industry, but the average salary of an excavator operator in Australia is $69,225 per year.