HR Licence to drive a heavy rigid vehicle
Take your truck driving to the next level or get qualified across all vehicle classes with an HR licence from Major Training. With multiple locations and flexible delivery options, we’re your trusted training partner for skills, knowledge and career growth that will literally put you in the driver’s seat.
Our HR licence training is delivered by a genuine, enthusiastic and knowledgeable team with a well-maintained fleet of modern vehicles.
An HR truck licence from Major Training automatically includes qualification to drive medium rigid or light rigid vehicle classes. We also offer the separate course for each of those classes in Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast.
If you want to drive a bus or a multi-axle truck greater than 8 tonnes GVM, or have the option to tow an additional trailer up to 9 tonnes, choose from a range of gearbox options:
- Road Ranger (open class) – this gearbox is standard on US and large Japanese trucks
- Synchromesh (Condition B) – this gearbox is standard on most European heavy trucks
- Automatic (Condition B) – this gearbox is increasingly popular in mine site equipment, some buses and refuse trucks.
We recognise the need for flexibility, offering a range of easy-to-access heavy rigid licence options that will get you behind the wheel in a matter of weeks.
Our HR licence courses in QLD include:
- Lessons and test
- Workbook/student study book
- QLD Transport booking fee – paid on or before first lesson
- Practical test with QLD Transport – 3 hours in total including warm-up, test and licence application using our truck with a QLD Transport assessor
- All lessons and tests booked on your behalf by Major Training Group.
Choose the HR licence training option that suits you.
- Lessons plus test
- Workbook/student study book
- Qld Transport Booking Fee – paid on or before first lesson
- Practical test with Qld Transport – 3 hours in total including warm-up, test and licence application using our truck with a Qld Transport Assessor
- All lessons and tests booked on your behalf by Major Training Group
Heavy Rigid Course Requirements
- To become licenced to operate a higher vehicle class, you must hold your current licence for a set period (usually 2 years), and this period must have occurred in the last 5 years. This period can be continuous or made up of different individual lengths of time (excluding any time that your licence was suspended, surrendered, cancelled or expired).
- An open or provisional class C licence held for 24 months or an open or provisional light rigid (LR) or medium rigid (MR) licence held continuously for at least 12 months.
- Pay test booking fee to Department of Transport and Main Roads.
- Pass the Heavy Vehicle Knowledge test.
Heavy Rigid Knowledge Test:
- Before beginning your medium rigid licence training with Major, you must have completed a written Heavy Vehicle Knowledge test taken at a Queensland Transport Service centre. Click here for locations.
- There are 10 questions in the test, and you need to get 8 out of 10 answers correct to gain your heavy vehicle learner’s licence.
- Download your Keys to Driving in Queensland here.
- You can practise for your test with Queensland Transport’s practice road rules test:
A HR licence costs $120ph + QLD Transport booking fee, or $1095 for an 8-hour course.
The duration of an HR licence is competency based. It will depend on your individual circumstances and when you pass your test with QLD Transport.
Upon successful completion of our HR licence training, you’ll be licenced to safely operate a heavy rigid vehicle – 8 tonnes GVM and above with 3 or more axles, including trucks and buses.